I love the combination of the chicken with the slightly aniseedy fennel and the blue cheese, they compliment one another perfectly.
For 2 portions you need:
- 2 chicken breast steaks about 175g/6oz each
- 150g/5oz soft blue cheese eg Dolcelatte
- ½ medium fennel root, thinly sliced (cut in half then slice across to create half moon shapes) keep some of the fronds for garnish
- 60ml/2oz cream (can be single or double/pouring or heavy)
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- Black pepper
Heat oven to 190c/165c fan/375f/mk 5
Place the chicken on a baking sheet with edges (to hold the juices)
Top with fennel and ground black pepper
Dot with the blue cheese
Place the garlic on the baking sheet
Put in the oven
Bake for 20 minutes
Remove from oven
Squeeze the garlic out of its skin and mash it into the juices
Pour in the cream and stir round well to mix into juices & garlic
Return the chicken to the oven for a couple of minutes to let the flavours blend
Serve the chicken and pour the sauce over, garnish with a little of the fennel fronds – lovely!
Serve with purple sprouting or tenderstem broccoli
Have you left your name and email address? If you do I’ll send you a free recipe every day direct into your inbox! A quick, healthy, dish ideal for midweek dinners.
Another recipe using blue cheese – Figs with Parma Ham & Blue Cheese